LE CELLE DI SAN FRANCESCO HERMITAGE
31 January 2016
Only five kilometres from Cortona, it is a very narrow and winding road which one needs to undertake before arriving to Le Celle di San Francesco, nevertheless very worthwhile.
Such a serene location, it is a must when visiting Cortona. You can simply stroll the grounds, sit and meditate or attend a church service.
The beginnings of Le Celle where built in 1211 by St Francis and some of his followers.
In May 1216, only months prior to his death in Assisi, St Francis dictated his Will in this location.
After the death of St Francis Brother Elia moved permanently to le Celle and carried out improvements which ensured the hermitage became a Franciscan property.
Currently the hermitage is occupied by seven friars who practice the preachings of St Francis.
There are lodgings for those who are considering a vocational life and take part in the community activities. Le Celle also offers spiritual retreats.
An overwhelming peaceful location.